Representing the providers & performers of General Ophthalmic Services (GOS) in the Essex area
Essex LOC use Mailchimp to simplify and improve communication.
Please sign-up to our mailing list if you wish to receive communications from your LOC in the future. We will send you information about CET events, new enhanced services, changes to referral criteria and much more.
Membership of the Committee is 50% Contractors and 50% Performers plus the Committee can co-opt from outside this group, eg Dispensing Opticians, to give a diverse balance.
Other Objectives of Essex LOC are to:
- Promote the profession to all stakeholders in the county
- Promote Enhanced Services to all parts of the county
- Communicate with Commissioners of Health Services
- Inform the profession about relevant changes in the Health Service
- Facilitate training for Enhanced Services
- Facilitate contract compliance by contractors and performers
- Be the first point of contact for practitioners seeking help with disputes and complaints via NHS.
- Facilitate Peer Reviews and other statutory training requirements for GOC and NHS
Essex LOC aims to promote Enhanced Services in certain clinical fields:
- Glaucoma Referral Refinement
- Certain visual conditions affecting Children
- LVA provision
- General Referral Refinement (eg Red Eye)
Optometrists’ core skills are vastly under-used in a GOS sight test, and Essex LOC believes that tapping into this resource in the Community will bring benefits to all stakeholders: Commissioners saving money; Hospitals freeing up acute appointments and reducing waiting times; patients getting seen in the Community more conveniently with greater accessibility; practitioners getting more involved with treatment of their patients.