Representing the providers & performers of General Ophthalmic Services (GOS) in the Essex area
Membership of the Committee is 50% Contractors and 50% Performers plus the Committee can co-opt from outside this group, eg Dispensing Opticians, to give a diverse balance.
Other Objectives of Essex LOC are to:
- Promote the profession to all stakeholders in the county
- Promote Enhanced Services to all parts of the county
- Communicate with Commissioners of Health Services
- Inform the profession about relevant changes in the Health Service
- Facilitate training for Enhanced Services
- Facilitate contract compliance by contractors and performers
- Be the first point of contact for practitioners seeking help with disputes and complaints via NHS.
- Facilitate Peer Reviews and other statutory training requirements for GOC and NHS
Essex LOC aims to promote Enhanced Services in certain clinical fields:
- Glaucoma Referral Refinement
- Certain visual conditions affecting Children
- LVA provision
- General Referral Refinement (eg Red Eye)
Optometrists’ core skills are vastly under-used in a GOS sight test, and Essex LOC believes that tapping into this resource in the Community will bring benefits to all stakeholders: Commissioners saving money; Hospitals freeing up acute appointments and reducing waiting times; patients getting seen in the Community more conveniently with greater accessibility; practitioners getting more involved with treatment of their patients.